Nuccio DiNuzzo / Chicago Tribune Chicago police Superintendent Garry McCarthy, right, joined by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, second from left, speaks during a news conference regarding the shooting death of Laquan McDonald at the Chicago Police Deptartment headquarters on Nov. 24, 2015

Graphic video released of Chicago cop killing Laquan McDonald

Hours after a Chicago police officer was ordered held without bond on a first-degree murder charge, the city released a police dash-cam video that captured the white officer opening fire on an African American teen on a Southwest Side street, striking him 16 times and killing him.

The video of the Oct. 20, 2014 shooting was released this afternoon in accordance with a court order and a day earlier than expected.

Seventeen-year-old Laquan McDonald was shot 16 times by police officer Jason Van Dyke, who emptied his gun and prepared to reload, prosecutors said. Van Dyke has said through his lawyer and the police union that the shooting was justified because he felt threatened by McDonald.

At bond court, prosecutors said Van Dyke opened fire only six seconds after exiting his squad car as McDonald was walking away from him.

Van Dyke then fired 16 rounds at McDonald in about 14 seconds and was reloading when another officer told him to hold his fire, prosecutors said at bond court. McDonald was already on the ground, wounded by gunfire, most of that time as Van Dyke continued to fire.

There’s also word that Chicago police worked to suppress video proving he was shot without justification.

According to NBC News Chicago, 86 minutes of security video was missing after the shooting, after police ran through and reviewed it but before any official investigation had been opened, and Burger King has confirmed that it was deleted by police reviewing the video.

You can see the full, unedited video here. WARNING: graphic video.

Advertisements