Be wary of ANYONE who calls and demands money. Scammers pretending to be the IRS are bilking millions of dollars from victims this year alone.
Here’s the IRS guidance on the scam.
Things the IRS will never do:
- Call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.
- Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
- Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.